Shepshed RFC from Leicestershire contacted Gilbert this week after a fire at their club damaged their playing equipment.
The club, founded in 1985, is well known for its social element, and in recent years has achieved unexpected success on the field with two consecutive unbeaten league campaigns.
And while the success on the field is celebrated, the club’s ethos has always been about having a tightly knit community off the pitch. Therefore, before the fire, the club was about to embark on a campaign to create a minis and juniors section to ensure that the future of Shepshed is looked after.
The fire has set those plans back, however. Although the damage seemed to be cosmetic, on opening the equipment container it was found that the heat from the fire had in fact affected everything. The tackle bags and post protectors were destroyed, the plastic bin holding all the flags and poles had melted, while all the basic equipment such as balls, cones and bibs had simply been melted due to the close proximity to the fire and heat.
Local rugby is as important to Gilbert as internationals. Whatever your level, the game that you are playing and the club you play for matters.
The timing of the fire was of course terrible for the club, but in one sense handy, as Gilbert had some surplus stock available that we thought would help Shepsted get back on their feet.
We wish all at Shepshed RFC well, and if you, the rugby family, would like to help out, contact Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Gilbert Rugby on Social Media