Line Breaker Contact Shield
Line Breaker Contact Shield
Developed in consultation with specialist skills, breakdown and International coach, Richie Gray, Gilbert have developed a range of specialist training equipment to target the tackle and breakdown skills.
The Line Breaker Contact Shield has been designed to be easily carried by the shield holder and is used to isolate the skill of initial contact and follow up within the ball carry. The attacking player must work on dropping their body height as they approach the shield. They are then able to late step to target the edge of the shield. With this training aid, the ball carry technique can be practiced in a controlled safe environment before going “live”.
The shield carrier can change the height of the shield. The training aid encourages excellent timing, accuracy and body movement coming into, through and finishing off the controlled and dynamic ball carry.
- encourage players to approach the shied from different angles and speeds – do not always give the player a straight approach. Consider different ways of attacking the shield i.e. front on staying square or different entry points relating to the collision or tackle.
- vary the approach - players off the ground or from another technical challenge before they make the collision; straight attack versus the shield or fatigue the player first then carry out the drill so that the player’s technique is under constant pressure.
- look for speed of movement and accuracy throughout the drill. The player should always be in control of their body movement, angle of attack, tracking, foot placement, strong arm wrap and grip, head on correct side, and chase the feet
- look for speed of movement and accuracy throughout the drill. The ball carrier should always be in control of their body movement, angle of attack, foot placement and body height. If using the shield for initial tackle accuracy then watch for track, preparation, connection, acceleration, and finish.
- ensure players work on both left and right shoulders during practices.
- work on technique in a controlled environment use “crash mats” behind the shield carrier so that he/she has protection when they land.
Gilbert Tackle Equipment is manufactured from water resistant fabric with interior foam construction to the highest of standards to ensure they maintain their structure and quality. The high gloss finish makes sure that the equipment remains ‘mud free’ during the rugby season.
Gilbert Tackle Equipment has a specifically woven material which enhances the durability and strength to ensure they can withstand anything thrown at them.
Sizing - currently available in Senior only. Available as part of the Gilbert Rugby Clubs' Bulk Training Collection.
Tackle Equipment purchases using a Bulk Buy Promotion may be subject to a supplementary post check out carriage charge. If this effects your order you will have the option to cancel your order and get a full refund.
Orders over £10 get FREE UK Shipping. Below £10 shipping costs £3.95.
All UK customers get FAST shipping via UPS or DPD - usually with you in 2 working days.
Rates for international shipments vary depending on country. See our delivery page for more information.
We offer FREE Returns for UK customers. Simply use our self service tool to generate a return label and drop it off at your local UPS drop-off (thousands across the UK)
We offer a 30 day window to return your product.
Customers from other countries - please see our returns page for more information.
Does My Rugby Ball Arrive Inflated?
Unless otherwise stated directly in the product description above, all rugby balls will be provided deflated. Choose from one of our ball pumps and add this to your order! For more details on picking the right ball for you head to our Rugby Ball Guide
Rugby Ball Care Guide
Here is a guide on how to care for your Rugby Ball/s
Rugby Ball Buyers Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby ball.
Rugby Boots Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby boots.
Here is a guide tp help ypu choose the right headguards.
Body Armour Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right body armour and shoulder pads.