Developed in consultation with specialist skills, breakdown and International coach, Richie Gray, Gilbert have developed a range of specialist training equipment to target the tackle and breakdown skills.
The Ruck Warrior has been developed specifically to coach and train the breakdown. Rucking, tackle jackal, clear out and turnover technique.
- Encourage players to approach The Ruck Warrior from different angles and speeds, do not always give the player a straight approach to the training aid i.e. hit ground and up, hit ground and roll then back to feet, get the player to evade you then make the clearance… never make it easy!
- Work on a straight clearance or fatigue player first then carry out clearance work so that it puts the player’s technique under pressure.
- Make sure player drops height from 2/3mtrs away from Ruck Warrior and make accurate decision on area to be targeted on training aid.
- Keep eyes on target all the way through the initial hit, strong arm clamp if required and initial shoulder contact – be in charge of your own bodyweight at all times.
- Analyse speed of movement of the player and accuracy of clearance. Look to keep hips low and square with outstanding follow up leg drive.
- Player can add in a dynamic and safe croc-roll if coach changes angle of Ruck Warrior once the bag has been clamped, which works on core and arm strength. Always work on outstanding stability in supporting their own bodyweight and being ready for the next threat.
- Once clearance has been carried out, always finish in a strong end position, eyes up looking for threat or in a defensive position ready to protect from oncoming contact.
- On phase play, the Ruck Warrior can be run into position by two carriers using side handles, and can be placed in and over contact area – in doing so, the players must beat the Ruck Warrior or clear the threat if it is in position first.
- Change the clearance angle of The Ruck Warrior by holding the straps on the back of the training aid and creating different angles for the player to clear. This can bring about the player having to look up and through when clearing under the training aid, this ensures straightening of their back and driving through to finish.
Gilbert Tackle Equipment is manufactured from water resistant fabric with interior foam construction to the highest of standards to ensure they maintain their structure and quality. The high gloss finish makes sure that the equipment remains ‘mud free’ during the rugby season.
Gilbert Tackle Equipment has a specifically woven material which enhances the durability and strength to ensure they can withstand anything thrown at them.
Sizing - currently available in Senior or Junior. Available as part of the Gilbert Rugby Clubs' Bulk Training Collection.
Tackle Equipment purchases using a Bulk Buy Promotion may be subject to a supplementary post check out carriage charge. If this effects your order you will have the option to cancel your order and get a full refund.
Orders over £10 get FREE UK Shipping. Below £10 shipping costs £3.95.
All UK customers get FAST shipping via UPS or DPD - usually with you in 2 working days.
Rates for international shipments vary depending on country. See our delivery page for more information.
We offer FREE Returns for UK customers. Simply use our self service tool to generate a return label and drop it off at your local UPS drop-off (thousands across the UK)
We offer a 30 day window to return your product.
Customers from other countries - please see our returns page for more information.
Does My Rugby Ball Arrive Inflated?
Rugby Ball Care Guide
Here is a guide on how to care for your Rugby Ball/s
Rugby Ball Buyers Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby ball.
Rugby Boots Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby boots.
Here is a guide tp help ypu choose the right headguards.
Body Armour Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right body armour and shoulder pads.