Arrowhead Contact Shield
Arrowhead Contact Shield
Developed in consultation with specialist skills, breakdown and International coach, Richie Gray, Gilbert have developed a range of specialist training equipment to target the tackle and breakdown skills.
The Arrowhead Contact Shield has been designed to isolate the skill of initial contact and follow up within the collision. The attacking player must work on dropping their body height as they approach the shield, enabling them to target the contact point with shoulder accuracy, arm-wrap and grip to finish. With this training aid the collision technique can be practiced in a controlled safe environment before going “live”.
The carrier can change the height and angle of the shield to allow different angles of collision entry. The training aid encourages excellent timing, accuracy and body movement coming into, through and finishing off the controlled collision.
Includes two extra 'safety shields' to allow coaches to analyse attacking players head movement If you do not see the safety shields being forced back into the body of the shield holder by the attacker’s head, then you can correct the technique (this is called the arrowhead technique). The player is encouraged to put ear to protective shield, then drive across keeping head tight, chin up and eyes forward.
- encourage players to approach the shied from different angles and speeds – do not always give the player a straight approach. Consider different ways of attacking the shield i.e. front on staying square or different entry points relating to the collision or tackle. Carrier can also create an angle between the shield and the tackler, and carrier can also hold the shield on hip.
- vary the approach - players off the ground or from another technical challenge before they make the collision; straight attack versus the shield or fatigue the player first then carry out the drill so that the player’s technique is under constant pressure.
- look for speed of movement and accuracy throughout the drill. The player should always be in control of their body movement, angle of attack, tracking, foot placement, strong arm wrap and grip, head on correct side, and chase the feet
- ensure players work on both left and right shoulders during practices.
- work on technique in a controlled environment use “crash mats” behind the shield carrier so that he/she has protection when they land.
Gilbert Tackle Equipment is manufactured from water resistant fabric with interior foam construction to the highest of standards to ensure they maintain their structure and quality. The high gloss finish makes sure that the equipment remains ‘mud free’ during the rugby season.
The Tackle Bags have a specifically woven material which enhances the durability and strength to ensure they can withstand anything thrown at them.
Sizing - currently available in Senior only. Available as part of the Gilbert Rugby Clubs' Bulk Training Collection.
Tackle Equipment purchases using a Bulk Buy Promotion may be subject to a supplementary post check out carriage charge. If this effects your order you will have the option to cancel your order and get a full refund.
Orders over £10 get FREE UK Shipping. Below £10 shipping costs £3.95.
All UK customers get FAST shipping via UPS or DPD - usually with you in 2 working days.
Rates for international shipments vary depending on country. See our delivery page for more information.
We offer FREE Returns for UK customers. Simply use our self service tool to generate a return label and drop it off at your local UPS drop-off (thousands across the UK)
We offer a 30 day window to return your product.
Customers from other countries - please see our returns page for more information.
Does My Rugby Ball Arrive Inflated?
Rugby Ball Care Guide
Here is a guide on how to care for your Rugby Ball/s
Rugby Ball Buyers Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby ball.
Rugby Boots Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right rugby boots.
Here is a guide tp help ypu choose the right headguards.
Body Armour Guide
Here is a guide to help you choose the right body armour and shoulder pads.